Thursday, August 09, 2007

Bell Ringing in Yorkshire



Still can't believe that I can just sit here and keep coming up with new titles for these post with all the places I have been able to go. How cool hey?!

Last week was such an adventure, I absoloutley loved it. I have been crapping on about going bell ringing for weeks, ok months, and it was all that I thought it would be but more. I met Chris in London and we jumped on the FIRST CLASS train to Yorkshire. The church that his dad works at is amazing, huge, old and very church like.

We went straight to the bell tower. In my mind I was kind of expecting the little boys to be flying up and down in the air ringing the bells, you know, just like in Sound of Music, but no such thing, there were adults of all ages pulling on ropes in a rather dignified manner. Turns out it is a little more complicated than just pulling a rope, and that all these bells have specific positions, if you don't set it right you can smash the stay and the bell will ring free. Who knew it could be so complicated?!

At one point Chris asked me to stop smiling, and I really wasn't able to, it was just too cool to be able to see this in a church so old. We went down the pub with the ringers after, and they hooked me up with the details of some churches in Sydney where you can ring. I can feel a new hobby coming on, I really can.

The next day after my ears stopped ringing we went to York, and Chris gave me a guided tour, including the train museum. I ate a Yorkie in Yorkshire. Did a tour of a old old church, with an old old key. All in all it was an awesome couple of days.

No comments: