Thursday, August 09, 2007

Wales

I had a bit of a traumatic journey from Yorkshire to Wales. I was supposed to get the train from Beverley at 12.30, to be in London at 4, to get the bus to Wales at 6.30. In my mind that gave me enough time for a coffee with Nel, but it wasn't to be. The first train hit a cow, so that obviously put a hold on things, the second train got stuck with it's doors open at the platform, and couldn't go unless they closed. The third train got stuck behind the second, and rather than just taking all the people off the second and moving it empty, we all just had to wait until they could fix the doors.


2 hours and 45 mins later I was on the move, I changed the route a bit, and went into Hull, the train I got on was going all the way to London, but I was only allowed to go on it as far as Doncaster, where I had to change and wait for a GNER train, as that was what my ticket was. They did offer to allow me to pay 30 quid to get a new ticket, believe it or not I declined :-)
Anyway, the bus turned out to be running late, so even though I didn't get to coffee with Nel, I did make my connection, and after 13 hours travelling we made it to Wales. Needless to say I slept well :-)


The plan for Saturday was for us to climb Mt Snowdon, when we got there it was pouring with rain, windy, cold, and generally crappy. I decided that given that I had not even heard of Mt Snowdon until 2 weeks before, and that I was feeling more like a coffee than been blown off a mountain for 6 hours, I decided to go tour another town. Elissa and Bap went up, the crazy cats, they made it all the way to their credit. Elissa is still hurting 4 days later the poor thing, but it is definately another experience they can add to the list.


We went to the smallest house in the UK, and got the little lady all upset by asking what made a house and house and trying to argue that a converted shed could probably beat this. She wasn't impressed, but I still maintain it is a valid point. What does make a house a house?


Anyway, we cruised around North Wales, go a stamp in our passports with the longest place name in the world (until the Kiwi's decided they wouldn't be beaten that is), drank coffee, drank beer, went to the beach, caught a steam train, saw Thomas and generally had fun.


Can't tell you how good it was to get to London on Sunday night and know that I wasn't going to have to travel anywhere for a week!


No comments: