Thursday, September 07, 2006

What a night

So last night when I got home we watched the special on 9/11. Amazing, amazing stuff. It was so interesting to listen to how the news was being reported on that day, like "this seems to be an action of a group..." and now, with what happened in London a couple of weeks ago, it's a Terrorist Attack, A Threat, we need to keep Fighting the War on Terror..

We have created a whole new language, a new vocabulary within the last 5 years to describe the horrible things that are happening. We didn't have the words before, and now we do. I think that's scary. I don't want anymore new words like that.

Now I was going to blog today about the crazy storm we had last night. How the lightning was so bright that it made me feel like I'd been looking into the sun when really I was lying there with my eyes closed. It was awesome. But that seems trivial now. Maybe that's how we do it though, how we continue through this time, we distract ourselves, pretend the threat isn't there...

I know that I am secure and I am certain of where I am going. But what of those who don't know yet? Those who are still deciding? I am not meaning to sound fatalistic (although I know I am) but I was just thinking about it. A guy in my office came into work last Monday morning, felt chest pains, and spent the next two days in hospital, and is still going back for more tests this week.

I appreciate the fact that I am healthy, happy, enjoying life. Sometimes I look at just how many good things are happening and I can't believe it. But deep down, things are not right at the moment. There is too much injustice. Sometimes I think we just need to talk about it a little more. Become a little more aware. The head in the sand stuff won't work for long. Eventually we will realise that even if the weather doesn't look like we want it to above the surface, it is better to live with than a mouth full of sand!

No comments: