Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Coles

I went to do the weekly shop the other day and found myself in a parallel universe. There is something about the Coles Maroubra Junction that doesn't quite sit right.

I'm not sure if this is just becoming my nature, or maybe I am watch too many self help TV programs like Super Nanny and Honey, We're Killing the Kids, but I can't stop watching people. I look at the way they treat their kids, how they handle the latest tantrum, do they give in and let little Bobbie have the lollie. Most times yes, and most times the kid turns around 5 seconds later and starts screaming about something else.

When did I become so judgmental? Who am I to comment on how people raise their kids? I think there is this whole culture being developed by these programs that make us think it is ok to judge on others. Do I have 3 kids? Do I have a mortgage? Do I have to drive to tennis, netball, chess club and extra tutorials for Bobbie because he just can't quite understand what his maths teacher is talking about??

I, at the moment, am busy looking after me. Just me. If I get hungry at night I cook dinner, if not, I don't (don't tell mum). If I want to go and play tennis or go for a run I do, if not I don't. I cannot even begin to imagine what it is like looking after 3 kids. Jessica (my cousin) and I spent about 3 months together. That was enough for me. She would go to sleep, I would rejoice and run out the back as fast as I could to be able to fit in as many ciggies as I could before she woke up. There was no Super Nannying going on there. And she was just one!

So Super Nanny good for you if you can handle it. But who is looking after your kids while you go and stay with these 'families in need'?? Do you even have kids?? Do they each partake in 3 or more extracurricular activities?? None of these parents in Coles have stopped to ask me my opinion of how they raise their kids. Maybe, just maybe their busy doing the best they can, and instead of having me looking at them with a disapproving eye, what they really need is just a smile and a look that says ‘you’re doing alright!’

No comments: