Thursday, November 16, 2006

Taking Time

So it has taken me a few days to get to the point where I could post about this.

One of the guys at work had an epileptic fit on Tuesday morning. He was a big guy, and was throwing himself around, yelling, foaming at the mouth and hitting his head against a table.

There was only me and another girl my size there, and we couldn't help him, or stop him from hurting himself.

I ran to get a guy to help us, and he calmed him down while we got the ambulance to come and take him to hospital. But it was horrible. To see someone not be able to stop themselves from hurting themselves like that.

He is all fine now, and we all went out to dinner last night, which was great. For some reason I really wanted to see him ok again, as if I wasn't able to believe it when everyone said that he was ok.

I am going to do a first aid course next week. This is the second time in 3 months that something like this has happened, and next time, I want to know what to do.

Mum used to always say that we should carry the contact details of our friends / family with us when we were traveling, and I used to roll my eyes and move on. But this man needed help, and we knew nothing of his medical history, medication or special needs and had no way of contacting anyone. Mum was right. We need to be a little bit more aware.

Life is what it is. And we are here for the time that we are here. And sometimes you just think about that a little more than you normally do. I know where I am going, and I am so glad for that, more than I can say. But what for those who don't??

2 comments:

Clovergirl said...

Oh Sez, what an ordeal. That's terrible - so sorry I didn't get to finish speaking to you about it on Tues night.
First Aid course is a great idea. Let me know where you find one - I'd love to come too actually.

Hey, it's looking very snazzy here lately, have you converted to BetaBlogger??

Sare said...

Hey lady..

To answer your question, yes, I have converted.. i thought i may as well give it a go.. so far so good.. still a few problems with it though, the back end can still be a little rought a time, but they're getting there..

And first aid, we're going on Thursday, it's somewhere is Surry Hills, not exactly sure where, my boss is working on that one, but if you can convince your work to send then that would be awesome!