Friday, November 10, 2006

Yeah I won the ham!

It all started on Monday when Addy called. Dinner was suggested, and I love that we didn't even have to talk about where we were going to go.. It was obvious, on a Thursday, you go to raffle night at the RSL.

So we did. And I won.

The story does go a little deeper than that. You see when at the pub I generally choose not to wear my glasses, and before this has never caused a problem... unfortunately (for Adam) last night I discovered why glasses are good and should be worn EVERY time one is trying to read something.

We were all sitting around waiting for the numbers to be called, and I was trying to set some atmosphere, some expectancy, a little bit of faith.. So I was already kinda excited. And then it happened, they read Adam's number! First call and bam, we win! Talk about excited.

I screamed. We all did. I waved my arms in the air, looked around at everyone as if to say "that's right, that's my brother, taking home the ham!" so we sent him right down to the stage to claim his prize.

It was only then that Kimbo mentioned that she wasn't sure if it actually was his number...

Turns out that without glasses on a 1 really can look like a 7.. they both have a down stroke and a little funny bit at the top..

These are all excuses. Adam, I'm sorry. So sorry. I know I said that a lot last night, but at least today I can say it without falling apart laughing.

Anyone keen for a ham salad sandwich, you know where I am..

2 comments:

Carlz said...

I don't get it, did you guys actually get a ham off the old fogies or not?????

Sare said...

Sorry to be unclear.

Yes, I won the ham.

Adam did not.

They had about 20 to give away. I won mine in the second half, after intermission.

But this time, after they called my number, I checked, I checked with everyone, the whole table had to look a my slip of numbers to make sure it was right. After all, I wouldn't want to walk up the front of everyone if it wasn't me!!!! ;-)

There were a few looks, some old people who gave us the evil eye, as if to say "If I'm 90 and I can get this right what on earth is wrong with you..." The man on the microphone even said "Are you sure this time?? Really sure??"

There isn't much grace at the Maroubra Seal Club.. looks like one chance is all you get. But that's ok, I'm not there for the social.. I WANT THE HAM!!