Friday, January 05, 2007

Thieves in Redfern!

So last night I went to dinner at a friends place in Redfern (the Hackney of Sydney for those non-Sydney-Siders), I was chatting to my Dad on the way there (hands free of course) and then did the responsible thing of getting off the phone so I could pay full attention to the map turning (ohh, I mean reading) that was required to get me to this obscure part of town.

I found the street, 5th time luckly, and called a friend of a friend to get the right house. Dondon said it was simple, just half way down the street, the grey apartments, park infront of the first tree. So I did. Then I waited for her to meet me so she could show me the right apartment.

Then I got the call.. 'Where are you?' Well I was in front of the first tree wasn't I. Where was she was more the point! I then had this horrible thought that I might be on the wrong street (it has been known to happen) so I jumped out of the car to run up and check the street sign. As I was in Redfern I did what all responsible people do and locked my car. As soon as I closed the door I knew I had gone wrong. The keys were in the ignition. Again. Keys in the car, car locked, me on the outside of the car, third time since I've been in Sydney.

I asked Don to bring a coat hanger and then we got to work. That's right, three girls, one coat hanger, four passerbys, and one very dodgy part of town. The girls prayed, and we got it!! We broke into Clemmy. No training (that's if you don't count the number of times I've watched the NRMA man break into my car) just runnning on a prayer. I didn't know whether to be happy or seriously concerned that I was able to rescue my car.

I'll tell you the most embarrassing part of the story.. Can you believe I actually thought to myself that I should keep some coat hangers in the car, just in case it happens again, then I could use them to open the doors... hmmm.. If I could get the hangers, surely I could get the keys.. Oh dear.. If I only had a brain.. :-)

3 comments:

Clovergirl said...

HAH!!!
Er, sorry, I was laughing with you. not at you - honest, honest...

Unknown said...

Haha. Oh the hilarity! Poor Clemmy is all i have to say! I miss that guy....or is it a girl?!?!

Anonymous said...

ah.. sarah sarah sarah... you really need to work on that.. but i have to say that i am very impressed with the coat hanger...very impressed!!!