Thursday, June 15, 2006

Finally Friendly..

Giving up on something has never been my strong point. After receiving some feedback about my apparent obsession with rule making (you will be glad to know that I also believe just as strongly in breaking the rules as I do making them.. even managed a glass of champagne before the previously stipulated midday cutoff!) I decided that it wasn't much good me just complaining about things. That if it upset me so much I should try and do something about it!

So... While swimming I have been campaigning to chat with people or at least get them to manage a hello. After all, a lane is not such a large space, and if we are going to have to share it with 4 others, we might as well be friendly about it.

My first attempt on Tuesday went terribly... A guy got into my lane just before I was coming in for the turn at the shallow end. I was torn between stopping to say "hi, welcome to the lane, how you going" or just keeping going till I had finished my set of 10, or maybe just a quick smile would be enough...

Turns out it was ALL wrong... as I came in for my turn I decided to go with the friendly welcoming smile (I am a Host after all!), problem being I did it half way through the turn, so what he saw was a crazed girl, desperate for breathe with oversized blue goggles half full of water (creating the fish tank effect) hair in a total bum-part poking her head out of the water to look up at him with a frenzied smile.

He looked scared. Seriously frightened. Not at all apreciative of my welcoming efforts.

But, not to be put off I tried again. Last night I saw a girl who obviously was getting that horrible cramp you get in your big toe, so I stopped, calmly at the end of my set, said hi and gently enquired about the cramp, which led into friendly conversation about salt deprivation. See we can be nice, and not only to bus drivers!

2 comments:

Carlz said...

You're not still using those horrible blue goggles that you wore in that play in high school are you??? Trust be Sarah that guy wasn't just scared he was probably thinking 'does pool etiquette stipulate that because I've stepped up to the lane that I actually have to then enter...'

Bron said...

you seriously crack me up