Friday, June 16, 2006

A Weird Form of Theatre

I went to the Brisbane International Airport this morning to meet Elissa and Bapi as they flew in from London. The day for me started at 5.15 am, and while I am usually ok with early starts this morning I was not. Luckily for me (and mum) there was a coffee shop which made a passable caramel latte!
When we went to stand at the gate I saw the strangest thing. There were these rows and rows of chairs, set up like a movie theatre. Instead of a screen there were big double glass doors which would open intermittently to release the latest pair of travelers. It was weird. It just felt wrong.
The lady sitting beside mum and I seemed quite friendly, and was willing to engage in a conversation about the awkward height of the barricade (designed to keep us 'welcomers' out of the restricted areas) which blocked the faces of those waiting to be welcomed, but from the other welcomers there was nothing but animosity.
While in London I told every one who was willing to listen that we were a lot nicer in Australia. It's not true, it's just not. Everyone who comes to London always talks about getting on the tube, and how strange it is that no one looks at anyone else, or speaks to them.. Well I don't know what city they're comparing London too, coz they certainly don't talk here.
I took a photo of Elissa and Bapi coming in this morning, and in the foreground you can clearly see a girl with an jealous snarl on her face.. Well it's not my fault that my family came through first. It was not a personal attack on her. What a meanie.
I don't know why I am so obsessed with people being nice to each other at the moment. I just am. Would it hurt to smile a bit??

3 comments:

Nandi-Jo said...

Your really good with your blogging... but maybe it's time for another photo... You know how much I love a good pic!!!

Carlz said...

Yay for the arrival of Elissa and Bapi, who for some reason have now slipped into a quiet place and seem to be ignorinig us all - solution the two blogger shall meet and create adventures worthy of lengthy blogs - Sarah I am on my way - bloggers beware!

Clovergirl said...

This post had me in absolute stitches!! You are so hilarious! Actually I think I decoded the reason why we feel like Australia is friendlier - it's because we make eye contac tto check if it's someone we know or not. After we register that we don't know the person, we are back to being rude just like those pesky Londoners ;-)